Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


  • Abandoned Mines
    • How long will it take to fix the mine on my property?
      Once the feature is identified by AML Staff it must be included in a grant and obtain clearance for cultural/historical and impacts to biological resources such as Threatened and Endangered species and critical bat habitat.  The process can take a minimum of two years before a mine closure is scheduled for safeguarding.
    • Who do I call if someone is injured on an abandoned mine?
      If someone is injured on an abandoned mine contact your city or county safety department/fire department and/or 911.  Also contact The Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety (DRMS) at 303-866-3567.
    • What should I do in a subsidence emergency?
      Please follow the procedure outlined in the Subsidence Above Inactive Coal Mines: Information for the Homeowner booklet click here 
    • I want to find out the results for a bid that I submitted.
      Please contact our Inactive Mines Program who can inform you of the results at 303-866-3567 ext. 8133
    • What should I do if I find an abandoned mine on my property?
      Abandoned mines are hazardous and should not be explored.  The Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety safeguards abandoned mines to keep people out.  If you are aware of an abandoned mine, provide the Division with a written request including the description of the mine, location (include GPS coordinates or Township, Section and Range), a detailed map showing how to access the mine and contact information.   Once this information is received the Division AML Staff will inspect the property.  Inspection times are contingent on weather conditions and staff priorities.
    • How do I know if a mine is on my property?
      Claim ownership maps can be reviewed at the County Assessor’s Office or at the Bureau of Land Management.  Accurate mine location (such as GPS data) and claim corners are helpful to determine if a mine falls on a particular claim.  More information can be found on the BLM web page at
  • General
    • What is the board agenda this month?
      Click here for the most current MLRB Board Agenda.  The MLRB Board Secretary can be reached at 303-866-3567 ext. 8136. 
    • Do you have a Public computer that I can use?
      Yes, it is located in the lobby of our offices at 1313 Sherman St. Room 215.  It is on a first come first served basis but the information can also be accessed from any computer at: 
    • How can I get a consultation with one of your specialists?
      Please call us prior to your visit to arrange a consultation appointment with DRMS staff.
    • How do I contact Archives?
      Colorado State Archives is located at 1313 Sherman Street, First Floor, Denver, CO 80203-2274.  Phone number: 303-866-2358
    • I inherited an old mine and I would like to find out its value.
      Please contact the county clerk & recorders office where the property is located.
    • Can you provide me with maps of mine sites?
      The Colorado Geological Survey can help you with this.  Please call 303-866-2611 ext. 8321
    • Can you send me a list of all the mines in CO or all the mines in the U.S.?
      We do not have a record of all existing mines in the state or the nation.  We only have information on permitted mines in CO.  You can find the permitted mines on our website.  For a list of all the mines in the state, contact the Colorado Mining Association located at 216 16th St # 1250 Denver, CO 80202.  Phone: (303) 575-9199.  For a list of all the mines in the U.S. contact the National Mining Association at 101 Constitution Ave. NW, Suite 500 East, Washington, D.C. 20001, Phone: (202) 463-2600. 
    • What is a mining claim?
      Patented Mining Claim:  A patented mining claim is one for which the Federal Government has passed its title to the claimant, making it private land.  A person may mine and remove minerals from a mining claim without a mineral patent.  However, a mineral patent gives the owner exclusive title to the locatable minerals.  It also gives the owner title to the surface and other resources. 

      Unpatented Mining Claim:  An unpatented mining claim is a particular parcel of Federal land, valuable for a specific mineral deposit or deposits.  It is a parcel for which and individual has asserted a right of possession.  The right is restricted to the extraction and development of a mineral deposit. 

      More information can be obtained from the BLM at the following web page:
    • Can I buy a copy of your rules and regulations?
      They are free from the internet.  For coal rules and regulations the cost is $11.00 per each copy if you would like to pick it up at our offices, or $14.00 if you would like a copy mailed to you.  Minerals rules and regulations cost $5.00 if you pick them up or $8.00 if you would like them mailed to you.
    • I have a question with regard to an old mining stock certificate.
      DRMS is not able to determine the value of stock certificates.  Information about how to research an old stock certificate can be found at
  • Mine Safety
    • How do I obtain a permit to handle/use explosives on a mine site?
      As of November 2003, the Division no longer issues permits for the handling, storage or use of explosives.   Please contact the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives in Denver at 303-844-7549. 
    • How do I become a certified coal mine official, such as a mine foreman or electrician?
      Since the Mine Safety & Training Program has primacy in testing and issuing coal mine officials certification in Colorado, please contact our program assistant at 303-866-3567 x 8123. 
    • Who do I contact if I want to become a tourist mine in Colorado?
      Please contact the Mine Safety & Training Program, Program Manager at 303-866-3567, ext. 8151.   You can also click on ‘rules and regulations’ on the Division of Reclamation, Mining & Safety webpage and scroll down to Regulations of the Mine Safety and Training Program for Tourist Mines. 
  • Mineral Mines
    • How can I look up an Active Permit?
    • Where do I find out information about a mining claim?
      DRMS does not handle mining claims.  If the mining claim is on State Land, call the Colorado State Land Board at 303-866-3454.  If the claim is on Federal Land, contact the US Bureau of Land Management 303-239-3600.  If the claim is on private land, contact the county clerk & recorders office where the property is located.
    • How do I find out about the mineral rights?
      The State Land Board (303-866-3454) maintains only State owned properties and does not maintain records for fee (private) or federal lands. For fee property, contact the county clerk & recorders office where the property is located. For federal lands, contact the Bureau of Land Management at 303-239-3600
    • How do I know if I need a mining permit?
      Please review our "Is it Mining" document which lists guidelines to help determine whether a permit is needed.   
    • How do I know if I need a Reclamation Permit?
      In order for the Division to determine if a Reclamation Permit is required, you must complete and submit the ‘Is it Mining Questionnaire’.
    • When is my annual fee due?
      The annual fee is due on the date the permit was issued, also known as the anniversary date.
    • How do I terminate my permit?
      Please see Rule 4.17 of either the Construction Materials Rules or the Hard Rock Rules for information on the release of Performance and Financial Warranties.
    • How do I file a complaint against a mining operation?
      The Division does not have a form for submitting complaints at this time.  Please contact the Environmental Protection Specialist assigned to your county for additional information. 
    • Is there a form for Technical Revisions?
      Technical Revisions may be submitted by completing the Technical Revision Form.
    • How can I get a copy of my permit file?
      Copies of permit files can be viewed online through Laserfiche WebLink
    • Does the Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety issue permits for oil and gas extraction?
      The Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission issues permits for oil and gas extraction.  For more information, please visit them at: